10 January 2011

Stepping Stones


"When you are proclaiming peace with your lips, be careful to have it even more fully in your heart."  – St. Francis of Assisi
I have spent this week walking down a path that contains stepping stones inscribed with the following words of encouragement... calm, stillness, harmony, understanding, silence, knowledge and serenity.  These small, intentional steps have lead me on the first part of my journey which is to seek more peace in my heart.  There are several truths I've learned along the way...

  • Peace in my heart is directly affected by my relationship with God and others
  • God is calling each of us to a passionate, love relationship with Himself
  • Two-way conversation is a necessary part of communicating
Based on these truths, I have been making some simple changes....

Prayer Life:
  Many times my prayers become routine, or sound like an “I want” list.  Other times, I’m in a hurry, or too tired and feel like I am wasting God’s precious time. This week I read the words of Colossians 4:2,Devote yourselves to prayer with an alert mind and a thankful heart” and realized exactly what I needed to do... I have been striving for a more purposeful prayer life by setting aside uninterrupted time and being more focused and intentional as I pray to God. 

Being Still:  Listening to Christian music, especially a song like “Breathe” by Michael W. Smith, makes me feel like I am in the presence of God.  So, this week I began to wonder why I don’t take a few minutes longer to enjoy the quiet, to be still and spend time listening to God.  Why not indeed?  The reason is because of the “busy-ness” of everyday life. Well, I've been trying to conquer the “busy-ness,” even if it is for only 15 minutes a day.  Who knows, maybe it will gradually increase to 30 minutes, an hour, or even more!  There are many ways to follow the words of Psalm 46:10, Be still, and know that I am God!" What are some of the ways you find quiet time with God?

God’s Word:  For me, just reading through the Bible is not enough.  How can I battle against the things that try to steal my “peace,” if I can’t apply scripture to my everyday life?  How can I “sparkle” and share the gospel with others if I don’t have a deeper understanding of His Word?  The Bible tells us “... Christ will make his home in your hearts as you trust in him. Your roots will grow down into God's love and keep you strong” (Ephesians 3:17).  So, this past week I’ve added 2 new learning tools to my Bible study time.  1.  listening to a daily devotion based on the Sunday sermon  2. following a Christian blog - 21 days of Made to Crave.  Check my Resource Page for links.

God reveals so much to us.  His Word leads us down the right path if we just choose to pray, listen and learn.  May God put some extra peace in your heart this week... “Commit your actions to the LORD, and your plans will succeed.” - Proverbs 16:3.  Be sure to check back on Friday, when we’ll be discovering ways to give away “pieces” of our heart!

God’s Peace... Donna Weaver

"Peace of mind is not a goal I need achieve.  It’s a place inside I never want to leave.  Close my eyes, I still my thoughts and then I say, I will choose to live in peace today."  – Robert Alan

No comments: