14 March 2011

Luck or Grace?


Irish Blessing
May the road rise to meet you, May the wind be always at your back,
May the sun shine warm upon your face, The rains fall soft upon your fields
and, Until we meet again, May God hold you in the palm of His hand.

I don’t know about you, but with gas prices rising so quickly it seems like it is getting to be quite a challenge to stretch my budget from paycheck to paycheck. I know everyone is feeling the crunch, but sometimes that doesn’t offer much consolation.  Just about the time you think you have it figured out, life happens...

... the battery in your car dies and payday isn’t for another week
... it’s been a very stressful day, you really need to talk to someone and your husband is out of town for a few days
... you forgot that it’s your child’s turn to take snack to her dance class on Wednesday night, and you are already trying to stretch your groceries until Friday

BUT, just when your peace and security are beginning to dwindle and you think you are losing the battle, the repairman tells you he will hold your check until payday, your neighbor stops over to check on you and brings your family a casserole for dinner, an unexpected check appears in the mail. Blessing upon blessing.... is it LUCK or GRACE?

LUCK:  fortune, chance, fate, destiny, coincidence
GRACE: mercy, favor, blessing (unconditional, undeserving, unexpected)

Matthew 6:33 tells us that “He will give you all you need from day to day if you live for him and make the kingdom of God your primary concern.” God’s provisions are not just for our big things or the major crisis’ in our lives.  You can rest assured that He doesn’t leave the small things to luck (or chance), he hears the smallest details of our prayers and even our unspoken concerns. In Romans 8:28, Christians are given the promise that “...in all things God works for the good of those who love him, who have been called according to his purpose.” God is sovereign over everything, so we can trust that nothing is merely a matter of chance. God suffers with us through our painful times and takes joy in the wonderful events in our life. And because God knows our every need, sometimes he even uses other's to reveal His grace through their kindess, generosity, and servant's heart... aka the way they "sparkle."  On the other hand, luck, unlike faith in God, is not personal. 

Today my "pot of gold" is only a coffee mug filled with pennies, but for that I am grateful!  I'm not going to wish you a "lucky" St. Patrick's Day, but a "grace-y" day!  Catch you again Friday... God's Peace, Donna Weaver

LEPRECHAUN DUST (fun treat for kids)
Jell-O Brand instant pistachio pudding • Milk • Ziploc baggies • Spoons
Put 1 tablespoon of leprechaun dust (pudding mix) into a
sealed baggie  for each child.  Add 1/4 cup of cold milk and let
them shake until the instant pudding turns green. Yummy!

6 comments:

Colin, Juanita, Ian, Brooke and Gavin said...

GREAT post Donna! I am soooo blessed beyond measure... not one ounce of luck about it! And, each day I am sure to count my blessings...so as to take notice of all the ways my Savior loves me!

Donna Weaver said...

Thanks Juanita... this was a fun post to write, glad you enjoyed it. Since I started reading One Thousand Gifts, I am even more aware of my abundant blessings. God is so good!

Maxine said...

Donna I KNOW in my SOUL that nothing happens by luck!! It is ALL designed by HIM and in that we are all truely blessed. I am thankful for every day that I get to wake up!!! Love, Maxine

Donna Weaver said...

Maxine, Thanks for sharing such a beautiful sentiment. With all that has happened in Japan over the past week, it makes me feel all the more blessed! Thanking God and joining you in prayers for Japan. God's Peace always!

Kim Quiggle said...

This is so beautiful...and SO true! We can look back over our lives and think about when we THOUGHT things were so bad, yet we can see the blessing and grace that God brought to those situations. And we are SO grateful to such a kind and loving Father! He is there with us ALWAYS! Praise God! Thanx for being You! Luv ya Donna!

Donna Weaver said...

Kim....Oh, seeing things through spiritually mature eyes is so awesome! I remember a time when I would say, "I am so lucky." Now I say "I am so blessed." Just saying it gives me goosebumps. I remember a friend from SC, whenever I asked her how she was today, she would answer "blessed and highly favored." Don't ya just love it! Peace & Love...