13 January 2012

Being an Obedient Bible Study Girl


“All Scripture is God-breathed and is useful for teaching, rebuking,
correcting and training in righteousness, so that the servant
of God may be thoroughly equipped for every good work.”
– 2 Timothy 3:16-17

The New Year is a time when many people commit to reading a new daily devotional, spending more time digging in to God’s Word, or joining a new Bible study group. Been there, done that!

Week 1 ... so excited, anxious to dig in to our new study.

Week 2 ... read my assignment and looking forward to class tonight.

Week 3 ... it’s been a hard day at work (should I just go home tonight instead of going to Bible study?) I’ll miss the others in my class ... I guess I’ll go.

Week 4 ... I’m embarrassed because I haven’t finished my reading for this week (maybe I should just go home and get caught up before next week’s class).

Week 5 ... have a million errands to run after work (should I go to class late or just skip this week?)

Week 6 ... I missed class last week (maybe I’ll just join the next Bible study when they start up again next session).

Have you ever had any of the conversations above with yourself?


I have to admit ... more than one of those thoughts have swirled around in my head. Things happen, life get’s in the way, priorities change. Unfortunately, there have been times when I was unable to honor a commitment I made (even though at the time, it was with the best of intentions).

And so another new year and once again I am making a commitment, but starting a reading plan or a Bible study is only the beginning. The most important step is seeing our plan through to completion, and that takes obedience and self-discipline. I guess this will be one of the first challenges of digging deeper into my word for this year ... which is SELF-DISCIPLINE.

As Christians, the Bible is the foundation of our faith which means we not only need to read God’s word, but understand how to apply it to our daily life. I also realize that Bible study is an essential part of our Christian walk and good “intentions” won’t empower us, but obedience will. So it makes sense that if I follow through with my commitment, my relationship with God will grow deeper and deeper.

Easier said than done.

Seeking peace in all areas of my life is a constant challenge. One area has really been troubling me lately, so I have made a commitment to participate in a six-week Bible study which will begin this Sunday. I am praying that my commitment this time will be different. Two scriptures verses came to mind as I considered the challenge ahead of me:

“Now finish the work, so that your eager willingness to do it may be matched
by your completion of it, according to your means” - 2 Corinthians 8:11

“Commit your actions to the LORD, and your plans will succeed”
- Proverbs 16:3

I ask that you pray for me as I will for you - that God will give us obedience and discipline in our willingness to learn, listen and live out His will in all areas of our life. And that He will help us not to take our commitments lightly, so we can be all that He is calling us to be.

It’s Friday, Let’s “Sparkle” ... action required ... Accountability is key when making a commitment to change any area of our lives. The demands of everyday life can become temptations and work against us, but Satan tries to create even more ... and he knows our every weakness. Accountability becomes crucial in our battle to remain obedient.

This weekend why not pray about finding an accountability partner. The Bible tells us, “If one person falls, the other can reach out and help. But people who are alone when they fall are in real trouble” (Ecclesiastes 4:10).

When was the last time you had a friend call you just to check up on you, to see how you were doing? Or, when was the last time you called a friend to do the same? Every Christian needs an accountability partner ... to pray together, talk with, and share words of encouragement.

Don’t be surprised if God puts someone on your heart that just happens to need a friend, mentor, or someone to walk with on their spiritual journey. After all we have been called to be in community with other believers ... it’s all part of His amazing plan!

Be sure to check back as I will be sharing some updates about my journey over the next six weeks.

God’s Peace, Donna Weaver


Find out how knowledgeable you are relating to
the Biblical truths and obedience to God -
click here to take an OBEDIENCE QUIZ ...

1 comment:

Debbie Case said...

For years, I always took time to sit down with a card and write a special note for every occasion that came around. Somehow this new age of technology has changed the way we communicate. I still find it so special to go to the mailbox and receive a greeting card and especially when it contains a handwritten personal note. I think one problem is the price of greeting cards has skyrocketed over the years detouring the purchaser from sending as many cards as they used to, which is sad but true. :( I still try to make it a priority to send cards for those extra special occasions.