14 February 2011

Conversations with God


But now, thus says the LORD, who created you, O Jacob,
and He who formed you, O Israel:
Fear not, for I have redeemed you;
I have called you by your name; you are mine.
- Isaiah 43:1

Happy Valentine’s Day everyone! Today is a day when we all thinking about “chocolates, flowers, greeting cards, gifts, candlelight dinners, hugs, and kisses." Whether you are married, single, young or old, someone special comes to mind when we say the words “I LOVE YOU.”

Words are such an important part of our everyday life. We use them to express how we feel and to offer words of encouragement, comfort, and hope to others. Times likes Valentine’s Day we can find just the right words on Valentine cards, listening to TV commercials or even printed on tiny little candies.

Did you know.... Sweethearts, the small heart-shaped candies got their start in 1902. The New England Confectionery Company, or Necco, produces approximately 100,000 pounds of hearts per day from late February through mid-January of the following year. These sweet treats sell out in about six weeks.

Each conversation heart is printed with a special message. Many of the original sayings, like “Be Good,” “Be True” and “Kiss Me,” are still printed today, but in the 1990’s Necco decided to update some of the sayings to include “Call Me,” “Fax Me,” and “Email Me.” This year, one in 80 candy hearts will say, “Tweet Me.” Each year Necco receives hundreds of suggestions for new sayings. I got to thinking about the words on these little candies and thought to myself, wouldn’t it be cool to have a box of Christian conversation hearts that could include words such as “God Cares,” “U R Mine,” “Fear Not,” “Seek Him,” or “Pray 2 Day.”

Even though the candy company may update their sayings, we can count on God’s word being the same yesterday, today, and tomorrow.

How we choose our words is important because just as words can be loving and encouraging, they can also tear others down and be hurtful. Sometimes communication can be difficult, but the Bible gives us many verses on how to speak to others in a Christ-like way. In Paul’s words from 1 Thessalonians 5:17 he tells believers “Therefore, encourage one another and build each other up.”

Here are some other verses that speak about our “words”....

“An anxious heart weighs a man down,
but a kind word cheers him up.”
– Proverbs 12:25

“Do not let any unwholesome talk come out of your mouths,
but only what is helpful for building others up according to
their needs, that it may benefit those who listen.”
– Ephesians 4:29

“One who loves a pure heart
and who speaks with grace will have the king for a friend.”
– Proverbs 22:11

“She speaks with wisdom,
and faithful instruction is on her tongue.”
– Proverbs 31:26

One scripture verse that I use as a prayer every day is Psalm 19:14, “May the words of my mouth and the meditation of my heart be pleasing in your sight, LORD, my Rock and my Redeemer.” I have learned that my words are a reflection of what is stored in my heart. If I stuff things like bitterness, anger, worry and frustration in to my heart, the words that come out of my mouth become filled with sarcasm, impatience, and hate. Keeping God’s word in my heart helps me with the daily battle over my words. 

Let God be your one true Valentine this year. Send Him a message... if you were writing your own conversation heart to give to God, what would it say? I think my heart would say “I M YOURS.”


Happy Hearts Day.  "Sparkle" surprises on Friday... have a great week!
God’s Peace, Donna Weaver


“God is so big He can cover the whole world with His love,
and so small He can curl up inside your heart.”
- June Masters Bacher

2 comments:

Colin, Juanita, Ian, Brooke and Gavin said...

Loved your post today! I was at the Christian Book Store last week and came across some Valentine's candy hearts.... with Christian sayings on them! I was in LOVE! Happy Valentine's Day to you! Blessings!

Donna Weaver said...

Happy Hearts Day to you too! Hope you had an awesome day filled with lots of love, hugs & peace. Glad you enjoyed the post.... it was really fun to write. What a coincidence that you found Christian candy hearts - I didn't now they had such a thing. Thought I had come up with a new idea LOL

Hope you'll check back Friday... sparkly fun for all!

Peace & Love, Donna