25 February 2011

Have Fun, Throw Confetti


“If by chance someday you're not feeling well and you should remember
some silly thing I've said or done and it brings back a smile to your face
or a chuckle to your heart, then my purpose as your clown has been fulfilled.”
- Kimberly Quiggle

A life of peace gives us encouragement and hope, which we can in turn pass along to others. Author and writer, Nicole Johnson said, “Encouragement is to a relationship what confetti is to a party… The time it takes to gather little pieces of love, grace, strength, and hope is well worth it when you see what happens as you shower those gifts on someone else. It’s like spiritual confetti, and it’s the ultimate encouragement.”

Today I’d like to introduce you to someone who throw’s her own “spiritual confetti” every day. Kimberly Quiggle ... encourager, clown, and greeting card artist .... just to name a few of her many gifts that she uses to bless others. She is also the editor of a daily newsletter called “Cup O’Cheer.”

I met Kim quite a few years ago in Myrtle Beach, South Carolina, which is where she and her husband, Jay reside. As I was putting together my blog topics for this month, Kim’s name kept coming to mind and I knew that she had to be part of my segment on “encouraging one another.” I’ve been a subscriber to her newsletter for many years and it always amazes me how there is something in every issue that I can apply to my daily walk with Christ. After interviewing her for this article, I completely understand that it is not just a “coincidence” but a “God thing.” Read the interview for yourself and I know you will agree.

MEET KIMBERLY QUIGGLE . . .

Donna: Describe your newsletter ministry?
Kim: Cup O’ Cheer is a free email newsletter that is published every Monday through Friday. I make sure to tell every subscriber...PRAYER REQUESTS come first! People’s hearts are changed as they hear of God’s miracles.... from the very teeny tiny ones to the great big ones. Each issue contains a variety of inspirational quotes, short stories, jokes, and poems, ending with one longer devotion.

D: How did it get started?
K: The newsletter originally started as an email to family and friends called “Quiggles Quips.” Over the years, as circulation grew, the name was changed to Cup O’ Cheer and today it has become an amazing outreach ministry.

D: How long have you been publishing the newsletter?
K: I can’t believe it’s been since 1996.

D: How widespread is your readership?
K: Cup O’ Cheer currently has approximately 800 readers, covering 26 countries. Readers have asked to use my articles for their women’s circles, Sunday school classes and small groups, so I’m not quite sure how many others are being touched by the stories.

D: How do you find such a wonderful variety of stories?
K: Read.... read... read! I subscribe to a variety of daily devotions and church newsletters. I also enjoy reading devotions from England and other countries, and spend time reading a lot of internet articles and blogs. I may read 100 stories, and after praying about it, only pick 2 to include in the newsletter. But, when I find articles I want to use, I email the author/ writer to ask for their permission to reproduce their work. Many times they become not only a source, but also a subscriber to my newsletter.

D: How much time do you spend creating each issue?
K: I have a daily routine that works pretty well... my day starts around 5:30 am each morning and I usually don’t stop until 11:30 pm. I enjoy the quiet time of mornings and evenings, to plan, pray and compile my newsletter. I also am blessed with a job that allows me some flexibility to access the internet and read during my work day. All in all, it takes about 5-7 hours of reading a day to publish my newsletter on a daily basis.

D: What is the most challenging part of your ministry?
K: Distribution of the newsletter isn’t an easy task, but I have it down to a system. I broke my readers down in to two main groups – one that receives their newsletter on the odd days and another on the even days. In order to circulate the newsletter via email, I have lists of approximately 50 readers each, so it does take a little time to send.

D: What inspires you to continue the ministry?
K: Sharing in the lives of my readers is definitely one of my inspirations. When I was growing up my dad worked for the railroad, so we traveled quite a bit. We didn’t stay in one place very long, so it has been wonderful seeing my readers grow up and having them share their family stories with me. I also get encouragement from other people such as my family, friends and card making groups. Their support makes me want to do more. And last but not least, I get encouragement from God. “I have no doubt that this is what God wants me to do.”

D: When you aren’t working on your newsletter, what do you like to do?
K: As you can tell by my picture, I love to clown around... ha, ha! All joking aside, I belong to a Clown Ministry and love sharing the “joy” of the Lord with others. I also belong to a card-making group that meets twice a month. We have a wonderful time fellowshipping together and taking turns teaching each other how to make card crafts. My husband and I are also very active in our local Walk to Emmaus community.

D: What is your favorite Bible verse?
K: Jeremiah 29:11 “For I know the plans I have for you,” declares the LORD, “plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future.” My sister named her son, Jeremiah. He was born with Downs Syndrome and their family has been such an inspiration to me.... a beautiful example of strength, hope and perseverance.

D: How can someone get on your Cup of Cheer email list?
K: Send an email to: cheer316@sc.rr.com - type in the subject line “Subscribe Cup O’ Cheer.”

Thanks Kim for your willingness to share your story. You and your ministry are such a blessing!

It’s Friday, Let’s Sparkle.... action required.... I hope you’ve enjoyed hearing how God has used one very special woman to encourage the lives of many... one word at a time, one reader at a time and one country at a time. God can use you too – you just need to say, “Here I am, Lord” and be ready for the fun to begin. This weekend why not “throw some spiritual confetti” - you may be surprised at how much falls on you in the process.

Blessings & God’s Peace, Donna Weaver


"Thousands of candles can be lighted from a single candle,
and the life of the candle will not be shortened.
Happiness never decreases by being shared." -Buddha

No comments: