28 October 2011

The Concept of Three


Orange, Yellow and White
Father, Son, Holy Spirit
The Doctrine of Three
Haiku – by Donna Weaver

Did you know that the word "trinity" is not found in the Bible, but the concept can be found over and over again woven through God’s Word. Father, Son, and Holy Spirit, the Trinity ... is the belief that there is only one God, and that this one God exists as three persons. There are many scriptural references to the Trinity, such as Matthew 28:19, “Go therefore and make disciples of all the nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and the Son and the Holy Spirit," and Second Corinthians 13:14, "The grace of the Lord Jesus Christ, and the love of God, and the fellowship of the Holy Spirit, be with you all."

Here are some other examples:

• “... and the Holy Spirit descended on him in bodily form like a dove. And a voice came from heaven: "You are my Son, whom I love; with you I am well pleased" (Luke 3:22)

• “... the grace of the Lord Jesus Christ, and the love of God, and the fellowship of the Holy Spirit, be with you all” (2 Corinthians 13:14)

• “God sent forth the Spirit of His Son into our hearts ...” (Galatians 4:6)

• “... one Spirit ... one Lord ... one God and Father of all ...” (Ephesians 4:4-6)

How many of us, when talking about the power of God, use words such as “our God is so big...” Can we really even begin to understand how encompassing our God is?  Human minds try to use logic - do the math 1 + 1 + 1 = 3, not 1.  Despite our best efforts, we can only begin to understand who He is.  But, if we think of it this way it begins to make more sense ... infinity + infinity + infinity = infinity ... God the Father, Son and Holy Spirit = One Almighty God. In other words, we worship an infinite God!

We’ve been talking about evangelism this week, and as I thought about sharing the Good News with others, I began to wonder how I would explain the doctrine of the Trinity to a non-believer, or a new believer? Where would I begin?

I guess it’s always best to start with what you know for sure.   I know that ... 1) God is three persons, 2) each person is fully God, and 3) there is only one God.  I also know ... 1) who God is to me, 2) who Jesus is to me, and 3) who the Holy Spirit is to me. To dig deeper, I consider how God, Jesus, and the Holy Spirit are active in my life. When we can explain to others how the Trinity relates to our own personal lives, they can begin to understand the foundation of our beliefs.

When I was growing up, I was taught the doctrine of the Trinity through the words of the Apostle’s Creed. Years ago I would recite these words because it was part of my churchs’ liturgy. I didn’t really understand the meaning, but I now confess the Creed with a confidence and deep understanding of the words. As I speak them today, it is without a doubt the foundation of my faith.

The Apostle’s Creed

I believe in God, the Father almighty, creator of heaven and earth.
I believe in Jesus Christ, his only Son, our Lord.
He was conceived by the power of the Holy Spirit and born of the Virgin Mary.
He suffered under Pontius Pilate, was crucified, died, and was buried.
He descended to the dead. On the third day he rose again.
He ascended into heaven and is seated at the right hand of the Father.
He will come again to judge the living and the dead.
I believe in the Holy Spirit, the holy catholic Church, the communion of saints,
the forgiveness of sins, the resurrection of the body, and life everlasting. Amen.

As evangelists “shining, sparkling, and glowing” in the world today, we will encounter people in all different walks of life and in all different stages of their spiritual journey. We need to pray for discernment in how we should approach others, and ask the Holy Spirit to guide our words as we spread the Good News of God - the Father, Son, and Holy Spirit.

It’s Friday, Let’s “sparkle” ... action required ... If you’ve read my blog for any length of time, you know by now that when I use the word “sparkle,” it usually means “to share the light of Jesus that resides within us.” Check this out!

The National Confectioners Association estimates that 20 million pounds (over 9000 tons) of candy corn are sold annually. Bet you didn't know that these fall treats have their own special day? Sunday, October 30 is National Candy Corn Day ... and what perfect timing, just a day before Halloween.


Candy corn was invented in the 1880s by George Renninger.

Primarily made of corn syrup, honey, and sugar, candy corn may have lots of carbs, but it is a “fat free” treat.

The thing that attracts me to these sweet little treats is their colors. THREE colors to be exact – orange, yellow and white.

The poem below compares the colors of candy corn to the Trinity ... what a perfect fit for the topic of today’s blog.

CANDY CORN TRINITY
White is for purity and holiness
Lord help me to be
pure and holy just like You

Orange is for courage
Jesus help me to have courage like You
when You died on the cross for me

Yellow is for sunshine
Holy Spirit help the “Son’s” light
shine through me
-Author Unknown

SPARKLE IDEA: Why not make copies of the poem, tie to small bags of candy corn, and share the message of the Father, Son and Holy Spirit ... what a great way to S H I N E ! ! !

Have a happy National Candy Corn Day, and I’ll meet you here again on Monday.
God’s Peace, Donna Weaver

“Each year, the Great Pumpkin rises out of the pumpkin patch
that he thinks is the most sincere. He's gotta pick this one. He's
got to. I don't see how a pumpkin patch can be more sincere
than this one. You can look around and there's not a sign of
hypocrisy. Nothing but sincerity as far as the eye can see.”
- from Linus (Charlie Brown’s friend)

No comments: