07 October 2011

My favorite things about FALL


"Crunching, crinkling autumn leaves,
spiraling, swirling in the breeze."
-
Julie Perkins Cantrell

When you think of October what comes to mind? Is it the fall colors, the cooler temperatures, dressing up for Halloween, the local farmers' corn maze, or an Oktoberfest celebration? Maybe it’s all about a visit to a haunted house or carving pumpkins with your family.

When I think of October, I am reminded of our high school homecoming football games, hayrides with my youth group, and a scavenger hunt in our small town cemetery. I also have great memories of spending time at the orchard with my kids when they were young. We had so much fun picking our favorite McIntosh apples and of course, the kids loved bobbing for them with friends. And what about those great picture opportunities at the pumpkin patch.

Of course the food of the harvest season is also yummy ... caramel apples, pumpkin pie, hot cider ... and candy corn? Mmmmm-mmmm!

Since it’s my favorite time of year, I decided to share
10 Things I like about October


1  ... trees changing colors ... and piles of leaves

  
 









2 ... beautiful fall flowers






   3 ... warm apple donuts with cider ... or a caramel apple
 
... an old fashioned jar filled with candy corn

... pumpkin pie and the smell of cinnamon candles

 6  ... carving pumpkins

... decorating with black cats


 




8  ... seeing youngsters all dressed up in costumes
... especially my grandsons, Aydin and Kaleb

 9  ... seeing grown-ups (like my mom and dad) dress up too ...

10  ... my birthday  (now that's a cupcake!)

It’s Friday, Let’s Sparkle ... action required ... This year as you celebrate the fall harvest, there is fun way you can “make a difference.” In the October issue of Better Homes and Gardens magazine, I came across an article on “carving pumpkins for a cause.” You can download custom designed stencils for charities such as The Humane Society, Big Brothers Big Sisters, Susan B Komen for the Cure, Rebuilding Together and March of Dimes.

The stencils are free and for every download, the magazine will donate $2, up to $5,000 per charity. Go to: http://bhg.com/charitystencils

Enjoy your weekend and don’t forget to snap some photos of God’s fall masterpiece!  Peace and Love, Donna Weaver

“God writes the gospel not in the Bible alone,
but on trees, and flowers, and clouds, and stars."
-Martin Luther

No comments: