"Gray hair is a small price to pay
for all this wisdom."
- author unkown
Happy Birthday to me, Happy Birthday to me, Happy Birthday Dear MEEEEE, Happy Birthday to me!
This week I am hitting another mile marker in my life ... the big __ 0. And with each birthday celebration, I thank God for another year as a Cancer Survivor (over 25 years). Life is full of challenges, obstacles, and fears, but it is also full of dreams, surprises, and blessings. And to that I say, not only do we need to “survive” but we need to Celebrate Life Everyday!
When I was little my parents would say “Wait until you are older.” Well, guess what? I am now "older," so today I proclaim the following ...
• I am never too old to enjoy an ice cream cone (Did you notice the words on the awning of the ice cream shop?)
• I am never too old to add a little “sparkle” to my life .... my wardrobe, my home, or my outreach.
• I am never too old to wear a ponytail (in fact, bad hair days demand it).
• I am never too old to do CrAzY, funny things with my best friend.
• I am never too old to watch a Shirley Temple movie.
• I am never too old to dream, create, or learn.
• I am never too old to call my mom and say, “I love you.”
• I am never too old to enjoy the simple things in life (playing board games with family).
• I am never too old to seek PEACE (without the “bell-bottoms”).
• I am never too old to sing "Jesus Loves ME."
• I am never too old to say “when I grow up...”
It’s not Friday, but let’s “Sparkle” anyway ...
Here are a few ways you can join in the battle against cancer:
American Cancer Society, Relay for Life
Pantene Beautiful Lengths (partnership between Pantene and American Cancer Society)
Warriors in Pink wear and gear (Susan B. Komen for the Cure)
Yoplait Pink Llid Campaign - Yoplait will donate $.10 to Susan G. Komen for the Cure® for each pink lid redeemed by December 31, 2011, up to $2 million.
Avon Walk for Breast Cancer
By the way, if you didn’t get a chance to see the Lifetime movie “Five,” you can watch the full movie online at http://www.mylifetime.com/movies/five/video/five
The groundbreaking original movie is an anthology of five short films exploring the impact of breast cancer on people’s lives. Directed by Jennifer Aniston, Alicia Keys, Demi Moore, Independent Spirit Award winner Patty Jenkins (“Monster”) and Penelope Spheeris (“Wayne’s World”).
Life is short ... The reality is that we have never been promised “tomorrow,” so every day becomes a gift. So, the question we need to ask ourselves is “What are we doing with the moments we’ve been given?”
Have a blessed week and celebrate life.
God’s Peace, Donna Weaver
“Youth is a gift of nature; age is a work of art.”
- Bob Phillips