05 December 2011

Fall on your Knees


But the angel said to them, “Do not be afraid.
I brin
g you good news that will cause great joy for all the people.
Today in the town of David a Savior has been born to you;
he is the Messiah, the Lord...” - Luke 2:10-11

I started writing this blog on Saturday, after what I consider to be a very LONG week. You see, 2011 has been a year filled with many changes in my life, and this past week was no exception.  I was planning to put a few finishing touches on my post Sunday after church, but as I listened to the sermon God directed the path of my words and my post took a different turn than I had originally planned. God does that to me a lot - He will use a message, a scripture verse, a song on the radio, or the words of a friend to help me understand exactly what I am going through and what I should be writing about.

One of my favorite Christmas carols is “O Holy Night.” A line in the song says - “Fall on your knees.” Have you ever fallen on your knees before the Lord? I have to admit that this week I was stricken to the point where I did just that! Out of fear and physical exhaustion, I fell to my knees ... and today after listening to the sermon, I realize it was a sign of my total submission and absolute dependence on Him.

Scripture reassures us over and over again that we should not be afraid, or anxious – that we should cast all our worries on the Lord (Luke 2:10, Isaiah 41:13, Matthew 6:34, Philippians 4:7). But when we forget or begin to doubt those words, and try to rely on our own power, things fall apart very quickly. My only hope was to turn EVERYTHING over to the Lord ... and I did just that!

Recently I lost my job, and for financial reasons, this week I had to move out of my apartment. The Pastor today said that our attitude can become so steeped in what we think we deserve that we stand tall with “ungrateful entitlement.” Thus, our attitude turns away from what God’s word tells us. Other times we take for granted the gifts (blessings) that God has given to us and forget the fact that He does not “owe” us anything, or has not “promised” us everything that we want. Again, our outlook takes a negative stance.

This is the season for celebrating the birth of Christ. In doing so, we also remember the visit from the Magi. These men were distinguished foreigners (Wise Men, Kings, and Astrologers), yet came from far away, bowed down before the Christ child and worshipped Him. Today I was reminded that my posture, words, and actions need to reflect the same reverence and respect. Just the thought alone of baby Jesus lying in the manger should always drive me to my knees.

This week I was “blessed” to start an amazing new job, and this past weekend I have been “blessed” to find a new place to live. In the words of Psalm 120:1, “I took my troubles to the Lord; I cried out to him, and he answered my prayer.” I did not receive His blessings because I earned, deserved, or was entitled to anything, but only because of His goodness, grace, and mercy.

So, tonight I once again fall to my knees. This time it is with a sense of profound gratitude ... because the same Christ child that was worshipped by the Magi, that died for the sins of the world, continues to watch over me and bless me. Apart from Him, I have nothing - but because God so loved the world and sent His Son, the Christ Child, I am humbly grateful for all that I have!

Here is a link to an amazing video of the nativity, accompanied by Josh Groban singing O Holy Night ... enjoy!

http://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=Josh+Groban+Oh+Holy+Night&view=detail&mid=E7149185BC883CD1EB8BE7149185BC883CD1EB8B&first=0&FORM=LKVR4

May you fall on your knees and worship Christ, as you continue to prepare for the celebration of His birth.   Have a blessed week and be sure to check out my Friday blog - "Getting Ready for the Christ Child."

God’s Peace, Donna Weaver



No comments: