24 December 2011

It’s a Silent Night


“The angel said, "Don't be afraid. I'm here to announce a great and joyful event
that is meant for everybody, worldwide: A Savior has just been born in David's
town, a Savior who is Messiah and Master.” - Luke 2:10-11, The Message

For the last two days I have been struggling with trying to write this blog. “Preparing for Christmas” has been on my heart and mind a lot lately and the topic has consumed more than a few of my blog posts. But, today the preparation has ended – the last few packages have been wrapped, cookies baked and packed safely in decorative tins. House cleaned – check!  Dinner with friends, yep! And I just got home from our Candlelight Service at church – awesome as always.

What next? After all tomorrow morning is finally the moment we’ve all been waiting for – young and old alike.

I quickly put on my candy cane jammie’s, grabbed a cup of hot chocolate, lit a candle and sat down to ponder the question. Most certainly ... What next?

Two lines of a Christmas song came to mind. The song is called, “I Need a Silent Night” by Amy Grant. It has been one of my favorite songs this holiday season. The words that came to mind were: “What was it like back there in Bethlehem with peace on earth, good will toward men” and “I need a midnight clear, a little peace right here, to end this crazy day with a silent night.”

Thinking about that peace-filled evening so very long ago ... shepherd’s watching over their flocks, the still of the night - all the while an event that would change the lives of each one of us was taking place. The Messiah – Wonderful Counselor, Prince of Peace was born!

2011 has been a year consumed with my personal journey of seeking peace. Some days I am convinced that I am I on the right path, other days not so sure. One thing that I have learned along the way is that we cannot find peace without seeking God first.

I am reminded of a verse that I read in a greeting card which speaks the exact words that I am feeling tonight. It said, “If you look for Me this Christmas, you won’t need a shining star – I’m no longer just in Bethlehem, I’m right there where you are. Love Jesus.” So as midnight quickly approaches, in the hush of this holy night, I plan to seek the gentle peace of the Lord ... right here, where I am ... jammies and all!

Praying that tomorrow will be filled with the true spirit of Christmas for you and your families!
Blessings, Donna Weaver

“Glory to God in the highest, and on earth peace
among those with whom he is pleased!”
- Luke 2:14

No comments: