30 March 2012

The JOY of JESUS


“A joyful heart makes a cheerful face,
But when the heart is sad, the spirit is broken.”
- Proverbs 15:13 (NASB)

This week one of my friends sent me an email that included a short devotion entitled, “Sparkling!” Since that just happens to be part of our message at PEACE, LOVE and SPARKLE every Friday, I wanted to share with you the opening paragraph.

“As I was waiting to checkout I glanced at one of the magazines on the rack, I noticed it had a female celebrity wearing a gem studded gown worth four times as much as my friendly cashier could make in a year. When I looked at it, however, I couldn’t help but think that nothing on that dress sparkled as brightly or shined as beautifully as the cashier’s joyful smile.” (excerpt taken from “Sparkling!” by Joseph J. Mazzella)

What a wonderful compliment ... but it actually means so much more.

Do you remember this childhood song?

If you’re happy and you know it, clap your hands.

If you’re happy and you know it, clap your hands.

If you’re happy and you know it, then your face will surely show it.

f you’re happy and you know it, clap your hands.

A SMILE is an outward expression of an inward emotion. And that inward emotion is JOY. Our JOY comes from knowing the LORD. And our love of the LORD fills our heart with JOY (inward emotion) and is expressed with a SMILE (outward expression).

Okay, are you dizzy yet? Whether you noticed it or not, we just went in a complete circle.

As Christians we have so much to be thankful for. I once heard someone say that “heart smiles” erupt on our faces and give us a special radiance that comes from the joy in our heart.

Does your face reflect the spiritual condition of your heart?

Here are some reminders from scripture:

“She is clothed with strength and dignity;
she can laugh at the days to come.”
- Proverbs 31:25

“Yet I will rejoice in the Lord,
I will be joyful in God my Savior.”
- Habakkuk 3:18

“Laughter does the heart good like a medicine
but a broken spirit dries the bones.”
- Proverbs 17:22


It’s Friday, so if you are happy, let your face show it
– aka Sparkle.


Our smile can be a wonderful testimony to our faith. Let your confidence in Christ – your joy, happiness and peace, shine through.

Remember, you may be the only Christ someone will ever see.

Praying that your weekend will be filled with JOY and lots of SMILES!
God’s Peace, Donna Weaver







No comments: