24 June 2011

Check Out the Information


“Your word is a lamp for my feet and a light for my path.”
– Psalm 119:105

Today’s world is filled with a massive amount of words – all kinds of information, and so many different sources. We can check out the library, television, radio, newspapers, magazines, the internet, and the list goes on and on.

At the library there are all kinds of books to check out, including classic novels, mysteries, romance, comedy, drama, biographies, historical fiction and non-fiction, books on poetry, hobbies, and numerous other selections.

I have been a lover of books since I was a little girl. My grandma was a registered nurse and every time she came to visit, she brought me a book. Each one became a cherished addition to my series. The books were about the adventures of a nurse named Cherry Ames. She was a job-hopping, mystery-solving nurse and each story took me to exciting places around the country. With each new assignment, I found myself in the midst of her latest adventure - from Cherry Ames Student Nurse through twenty seven books such as Private Duty Nurse, Flight Nurse, Dude Ranch Nurse, and Rest Home Nurse. Accompanying Cherry on her escapades, created an opportunity for me to dream about what my own adventures might be when I grew up.

Today I enjoy getting lost in adventures created by writers such as Karen Kingsbury, Mary Alice Monroe, Bill Myers, and Kristin Hannah. My choice of authors may have changed, but my love of books has not. Over the years I’ve supplemented my reading list, with books on Biblical Studies and Christian Living. Some of my favorite Christian (writers) teachers include Beth Moore, Max Lucado, and Joyce Meyer.

I've accumulated enough books to create my own personal library, which has gradually taken over my house. My collection contains a wide range of reading, from Dr. Seuss and other children’s stories that I share with my grandchildren, to contemporary fiction, biographies, devotionals and many other selections. But, my all time favorite books are my Bibles. I still have my very first Bible, a King James Version that was given to me at Sunday school when I was a child. You can find a white leather-bound Bible on my shelves, a gift from my grandparents on my wedding day. But the most worn, dog-eared, written in, and used, of them all is my Study Bible.

I find peace and encouragement as I read God’s Word. He takes me on personal adventures, and it is within the pages of my Bible, that I find truth. It is here where I can check out a list of commandments for daily living. I can check out “do’s and don’ts” from biblical leaders, parents, servants and friends. I can check out how to pray. I can check out the most beautiful love story ever told ... and hear about the depth of God’s love. And if that’s not enough, I can also check out entertainment - battles between nations, miracles of healing and rescue, celebrations such as weddings, births, and home-comings, and even some great vacation spots including the Garden of Eden, a mountaintop experience on Mt. Sinai, and boating on the Sea of Galilee.

Some of our other sources of information may offer us a much wider variety than that of one well-worn Bible, but let’s do a comparison. If I check out the internet I can find a list of suggestions for daily living, such as ways to lose 30 pounds without exercising, steps for handling difficult co-workers, or top places you should live. If I check out the magazine stands, I can read “do’s and don’ts” from this seasons fashion experts. If I check out the radio, I can hear a DJ’s opinions on how to view life and treat others. If I check out television, a soap opera or reality show provides a good (or not so good) love story. And of course, if I check out the newspaper, the entertainment section offers updates on the latest celebrity gossip - marriages, divorces, arrests, and so much more.

Now, I know you are all thinking... but, but, but. My comments about other sources were only examples of extremes, not personal opinions. What we read, hear, and watch, become filters which we use when making our decisions in life.  Words find a place in our heart, and eventually, the words we speak come from what is stored in our heart.

When considering the “source” of our information, we have a choice. I am reminded of the children’s song, The B-I-B-L-E – yes, that’s the book for me. So I ask you, “What are you going to check out today?”

It’s Friday, Let’s Sparkle ... action required ... As you go about your weekend, why not watch for ways to share God’s word with someone. I found the local thrift shop to be an excellent source to check out not only used books, but used Bibles. A few weeks ago while browsing the shelves, I found an NIV study Bible that looked brand new – the cost $2.75. What a deal! I already have my own study Bible, so I thought it would be great to have an extra on hand that I could pass along to someone else. This is also the time of year for garage sales. As you rummage through the bargains, keep an eye out for Bibles and other Christian books such as devotionals. Ask God to bring someone to mind that needs to receive His word and a special source of information (a Bible) from a friend.

Pass on the peace and encouragement of  His Word.
God’s Peace, Donna Weaver

“The word of God is full of living power.”
- Hebrews 4:12

2 comments:

Kathi said...

Sis2,

I absolutely and thoroughly enjoyed reading every "word" you wrote today on your "Check Out The Information"...

I was so fascinated to read about all of the books you had read as a child because I was a very "late bloomer" when it came to reading anything other than school books. I now have a "love affair" with the books I do read, especially "The Bible"...

Thank you for the awesome, wonderful idea of finding Christian books and Bibles at garage sales and consignment shops to keep on hand if we find someone in need of one to spread the "Word". Those two places were on my "agenda" for tomorrow morning with my "new neighbor"...Thanks to you, we now have a real "purpose" to look for those great bargains that will make us feel not only "useful" but it will bring us great "joy."

Love, Hugs & Blessings,
Kathi...Little Sis

Donna Weaver said...

Hey Little Sis...

Glad you enjoyed today's blog. Have fun garage saling tomorrow with your neighbor - I might be doing some of the same (if I can wake up early enough)LOL. Hope you find a Bible or two to pass along, but if you don't, the fun is in the hunt - enjoy!

You asked me a while back about the schoolwork I had mentioned. I'm a student at Colorado Christian University. Decided to go back to school in 2009 (after 40 years), and I'm working on my BA in Psychology. Sometimes it is hard to juggle a full time job and school but I'm loving it!

Wait until you read Monday's blog... beginning another fun adventure (but can't tell ya yet, it's a secret for now).

Blessings & God's Peace,
Donna aka Sis2