20 June 2011

A Mary-Martha Adjustment


“My therapist told me the way to achieve true inner peace
is to finish what I start. So for today, I have finished two bags of M & M’s
and a chocolate cake. I feel better already.” – Dave Barry

Nothing can steal our peace like a “to do” list that is out of control.  Are you trying to do it all? I sure feel like I am. Maybe my “to do” list needs a Mary-Martha adjustment.  How about you?

“As Jesus and his disciples were on their way, he came to a village where a woman named Martha opened her home to him. She had a sister called Mary, who sat at the Lord’s feet listening to what he said. But Martha was distracted by all the preparations that had to be made. She came to him and asked, “Lord, don’t you care that my sister has left me to do the work by myself? Tell her to help me!”

“Martha, Martha,” the Lord answered, “you are worried and upset about many things, but few things are needed—or indeed only one. Mary has chosen what is better, and it will not be taken away from her” (Luke 10:38-42).

I can be very much like Martha. There is so much to do and so little time to do it. I cannot accomplish all of the things on my “to do” list because my busyness overwhelms me.

As part of my journey of seeking peace, I have been attempting to avoid the “tyranny of the urgent,” not letting urgent things take priority over the important things. I admit that as hard as I try, I still have not been 100% successful. Unfortunately, one item on my “to do” list that continues to suffer is my daily devotions. As I wrote these words, something occurred to me... maybe my devotions should not even be on my “to do” list. Time spent with God should not be a task to be crossed off my list.  It should not be something that I might get to if I have time leftover at the end of the day, but a privilege that I look forward to and am blessed with each day. My time with God should be as natural as the first glimpse of morning light or the last conscious breath before I fall asleep.

My heart longs to sit at the feet of Jesus, to be like Mary. She made a conscious decision to let Martha do the “busy-work.” It was a choice. She chose Jesus as her most important priority, over the urgency of busyness.

God knows that our daily schedules can be difficult. He understands the demands on our time. Jesus experienced the same types of distractions. His “to do” list was a lot longer than mine, but unlike me, Jesus didn’t put “daily devotions with God” on his list. He sought God’s presence amidst all of his daily “to do’s” - before, during and after - asking advise, seeking His will, and thanking Him in all things.

Some of you may be reading this blog and find it impossible to relate. Your devotional time and quiet time alone with God is a daily routine that you find impossible to do without. I say to you, what a blessing to have a Mary heart in a Martha world.  I am seeking, but not there yet!

I have laid out a challenge for myself... this week I am committing to a different approach.  I will still have things “to do” (probably more than time allows), but I am going to start each day by thanking God for providing 24 hours. Twenty-four hours that I can use to His glory.  I am going to let Him write my “to do” list. Since I am a night person, and don’t want to give Him the leftover minutes at the end of my day, I plan to put my “to do” list away at a reasonable hour each evening and in doing so, I can give God “quality time” for my devotions. And before my feet leave the floor each night, I will thank Him for the accomplishments of the day (whatever they may be).

If you are like me, make a commitment and join me in my search for a peace-ful heart. A heart filled with the presence of God. If you have mastered your “God time,” add me to your prayer list. After all, life is a journey, and we are walking along the path together.

God’s Peace, Donna Weaver

“Be still and know that I am God.”
– Psalm 46:10

2 comments:

Kathi said...

Sis2,

I definitely can relate to always being more of a "Martha" and forever longing to be more like "Mary"..

For the first time in my life, I now have an opportunity to make a commitment, give God more quality time and join you in the search for a peace-ful heart. I have not mastered my "God time" as of yet but I will be working toward that goal, right along with you...

Thank you for always being such a constant inspiration to me!!!

Love, Hugs & Blessings,
Kathi...Little Sis

P.S. You have been on "my" prayer list since the first time we connected...I will always feel so thankful and blessed that God brought us together!!

Donna Weaver said...

Little Sis.... Once again your words have touched my heart. Our spiritual journey is always a work in process. Even when we "master" one thing, God challenges us and stretches us in another area. My blogging has forced me to be in His word more and really understand the scripture that I choose to quote. But researching scripture in order to write, is not the same as being in His word to draw closer to Him. Hence, my commitment.... I am so glad you have chosen to join me.

I plan to start small. 1. Waking up and asking Him to help me prioritze my day. 2. 10 minute devo as soon as I get to work - Our Daily Bread devotional. 3. Evening Bible study (right now I'm doing a Beth Moore study) and finally, 4. Prayer time and quiet time with God before I close my eyes. I may not accomplish every item, every day, but part of a challenge is setting the bar high.

Please do continue to pray for me, as I will you. We can do this together... you, me and God.

"A person standing alone can be attacked and defeated, but two can stand back-to-back and conquer."
- Ecclesiastes 4:12

Have a blessed week...
Peace, my friend - Donna aka Sis2