02 November 2011

Kidz Topic ... TEXTING

This is a new segment of my blog where I will be sharing a variety of thoughts, scripture verses, and “sparkle” ideas just for kids. Feel free to pass them on to your children, grandchildren, or any other young people that God has put in your life.

KIDZ ☮ PEACE... This week we are going to continue to talk about “outreach” ... aka EVANGELISM.

According to a survey done by the Nielsen Company, teens average more than 3,000 texts a month — more than 10 per hour (not including the time they are sleeping or in school).


I got to wondering ... if Jesus had been born in this generation would he have had a cell phone or used texting?  During his ministry Jesus spoke to people using whatever language they understood. He used different ways to get people’s attention, even a “burning bush.” He spoke from a boat, on a mountainside, at banquets, at a well, and in people’s homes (like Mary and Martha), but His message was always the same.

I have to admit that texting is not my favorite way to communicate. Anyone that sends me a text knows that it takes me forever to reply to their message. But, I have to admit that since so many people (especially kids) love to text now-a-days, I may have to change my attitude. One of the problems I have with texting is that I don’t understand “text lingo.” I know a few basics like BFF means “best friends forever” or TTYL means “talk to you later,” but I wanted to understand more. So I “googled” text lingo and as I was reading through the list, I came up with an idea. Wouldn’t it be fun to use texting to spread God’s word?

1. What does God’s Word tell us?  Psalm 119:105 tells us, "Your word is a lamp to my feet and a light for my path." When we go to God in prayer and read our Bible we can find lots of verses that tell us the importance of God’s word. We can also find important messages that would be awesome to share with our friends. Check out these verses: Matthew 19:26, Isaiah 26:4,Phillipians 4:6, Isaiah 40:29, Genesis 12:2, Matthew 6:33.

2. Outreach Idea - Text Lingo and God’s Word: I started making a list of text lingo, what the letters mean, and a scripture verse that had a similar meaning. Here are a few examples:

IASAP4U (I always say a prayer for you)
I always thank my God as I remember you in prayers (Philemon 1:4)

GMTA (great minds think alike)
Let the peace that Christ gives control your thinking, because you were called together in one body to have peace. Always be thankful (Colossians 3:15).

AAS (alive and smiling)
This is the day the LORD has made. We will rejoice and be glad in it (Psalm 118:24).

PLO (peace, love, out)
The LORD gives strength to his people; the LORD blesses his people with peace (Psalm 29:11).

TMOT (trust me on this)
Trust in the Lord always, for the Lord God is the eternal Rock (Isaiah 26:4).

AIMP (always in my prayers)
We always thank God for all of you, mentioning you in our prayers (1 Thessalonians 1:2).

TMWFI (take my word for it)
Seek his will in all you do, and he will show you which path to take (Proverbs 3:6).

WAN2TLK (want to talk)
Ask and it will be given to you; seek and you will find; knock and the door will be opened to you (Matthew 7:7)

RYB (read your Bible)
For the word of God is alive and active. Sharper than any double-edged sword, it penetrates even to dividing soul and spirit, joints and marrow; it judges the thoughts and attitudes of the heart (Hebrews 4:12).

POAHF (put on a happy face)
A happy heart makes the face cheerful, but heartache crushes the spirit (Proverbs 15:13).

IWALU (I will always love you)
For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life (John 3:16).

PCM (please call me)
I call on you, O God, for you will answer me (Psalm 17:6).

RIP (rest in peace)
I will give you peace...and you will be able to sleep without fear (Leviticus 26:6).

TIAD (tomorrow is another day)
So don’t worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will bring its own worries. Today’s trouble is enough for today (Matthew 6:34).

PZ (peace)
For God is not a God of disorder but of peace (1 Corinthians 14:33).

And check out these Christian messages:

YIC (yours in Christ)
g2g2c (got to go to church)
GBU (God bless you)
BRWG (get right with God)

PTL (Praise the Lord)
YBIC (your brother in Christ)
YSIC (your sister in Christ
WWJD (what would Jesus do)

3. Hey Kidz, now it’s your turn ... Next time you text a friend, why not send a message that includes God’s Word such as ... POAHF Proverbs 15:13

ALSO, I ‘d love some feedback ... answer the question “What do you think Jesus would text (WWJT)?” Be sure to include the text letters, what it means, and a scripture verse you think goes with it. Post your response on my Facebook link for this blog post, or in the comment section on my blog page.

Parents/Grandparents: Why not start texting your children/grandchildren and send them a scripture verse each day? (ie. Phillipians 4:14). It may create an opportunity to talk about it together, and you will be speaking their language ... how cool is that!

Kidz Thought for the Week: Honk if you love Jesus, Text while driving if you want to meet Him (Message from a church billboard, author unknown).

The Bible is full of messages that are just waiting to be read and passed along ... Call 2 Me and I will answer U and show U gr8 things which U do not know (Jeremiah 33: 3).

KYIMP (Keeping you in my prayers), TNW ('til next week) ... have fun texting!
God's Peace, Donna

No comments: