07 November 2011

Reflections on Psalm 100 and SHARED BLESSINGS


“God has two dwellings: one in heaven,
and the other in the meek and thankful heart.”
- Isaac Walton

I was thinking about some of the scripture verses I memorized when I was young and Psalm 100 came to mind. Memorization never came easy for me, but once I finally accomplished the task, it stuck with me ... for a very long time. So, today as I was thinking about the psalm, I wasn’t surprised that the words flowed easily from my tongue ... and I felt a such a comfort and peace.

With Thanksgiving approaching, it is a great time to be looking at Psalm 100. Many people are dealing with terrible trials and tribulations in their lives, and find little to be thankful for. Most of you already know that after reading the book “One Thousand Gifts” by Ann Voskamp, I set out on a mission to find blessings in the simple, every-day things in my life. So yes, even amidst struggles and difficulties I have been able to find much to be thankful for. My advice for anyone searching for blessings in their life is to read this Psalm carefully.

• God is our creator and we are His creatures. We were not made by accident!

          He made us from nothing (dust).
          He made all things without help.
          He made all things “good.”

“Know that the LORD is God. It is he who made us, and we are his people, the sheep of his pasture” (v. 3) ... that means He is our Shepherd. He is our refuge and leads us to safety (Psalm 8:52).

So why should we be donning this attitude of “gratitude?” Well, that answer can also be found in the words of Psalm 100. The psalmist tells us that the character of God reveals His goodness. He is benevolent, merciful, truthful, loving, faithful, and so much more.  He is worthy of our praise!   Ann Voskamp says it this way Eucharisteo (thanksgiving) always precedes our blessings (God’s goodness).”  

My friend, Peggy, and I have been faithful in keeping up our “Shared Blessings” journals. Every 2-3 weeks we pack up our journal and mail it to the other person. Once the journals have been swapped, we continue writing our list of blessings. It has become something that I look forward to with great expectation. Our friendship has been one of encouraging each other, discussing God’s word together, and praying for each other, but there is something special about reading Peggy’s handwritten musings ... I get to peek into her heart and understand more deeply her thoughts and reflections.

God’s Word has a similar effect on me. When I read my Bible, I feel that I am peeking into God’s heart and find unconditional love, security, hope and trust there. Maybe that is the peace which Paul was writing about in Philippians 4:7 (NIV) which says, “And the peace of God, which transcends all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus.”

Have you ever stopped to think what your life would be like without Christ? I sure have! I would not be here writing about my blessings and thanking Him for not only my provisions, but all that He gives me above and beyond ... all the blessings I do not even deserve. This Thanksgiving we all need to give thanks for our blessings of the simple things, the Special (miraculous) blessings, and the blessing of Christ in our lives.

So, how are you going to “give thanks” this year? Are you counting your blessings? Why not share your attitude of gratitude with a friend. It’s twice the fun and twice the blessings.

In Psalm 34:8 (NLT) scripture tells us, “Taste and see that the LORD is good. Oh, the joys of those who take refuge in him!” When we live a life filled with joy and peace, and offer thanksgiving to Him, God is glorified.

Chillin’ in His Peace, Donna Weaver

“The Lord gives strength to His people;
the Lord blesses His people with peace.”
– Psalms 29:11

No comments: