20 February 2012

Craving Peace


“For He Himself is our peace.” – Ephesians 2:14


Have you ever shied away from being accountable to others?  Have you ever been a little secretive on purpose?

For the past 5 weeks, I have been participating in an on-line Bible study with over 8,000 other participants. I have to confess that even though I have shared tidbits from our study, I wanted my commitment to be between God and me. I didn’t want to get caught up in “goals” or meeting the expectations of others. This was a time of deep prayer, seeking God’s guidance and a lot of self-reflection.

But today, as the final week of our study begins, I would like to open my heart and share some of the wisdom and truth I have learned from our study of the book, MADE TO CRAVE by Lysa TerKeurst.


Confession: In the past I have craved food more than God and was not willing to make a sacrifice to have it any other way.

Insight: We have been made to “crave,” but the object of our craving was never intended to be food, alcohol, wealth, sex or anything else that eventually consumes us (or comes between us and our relationship with God).


Biblical Truth: “Then he said to them all: “If anyone would come after me, he must deny himself and take up his cross daily and follow me” (Luke 9:23).

Confession: The purpose of this study was not to diet, lose weight, or join an exercise program. My purpose was to learn to “crave” God first and foremost.

Insight: We were made for more than living a life in a vicious cycle of being ruled by food. God’s Word will give us the encouragement we need to replace all of our excuses and rationalizations.

Biblical Truth: “You have circled this mountain long enough. Now turn north” (Deuteronomy 2:3).

Confession: For years I identified myself by my circumstances and not by my relationship with God. My weight is a direct result of my choices and the state of my health (physical, emotional and spiritual).

Insight: Becoming a woman of self-discipline can empower me. It pleases God and brings glory to Him.

Biblical Truth: “Everything is permissible – but not everything is beneficial” (2 Corinthians 10:23).


As my journey to seek peace continues, I have realized that peace can never be found in craving food, or anything else that separates me from God.

So, in the words of Lysa TerKeurst, “I’m not on a diet. I’m on a journey with Jesus.”

And as I continue along the way - I ask that you join me, encourage me, pray for me AND hold me accountable. It seems like God has taught me a lot of lessons about relationships over these last 5 weeks.

Craving Him...
Peace & Love, Donna Weaver


*** Countdown to Calvary begins this Wednesday at Peace, Love & Sparkle
Join me on a Journey to the Cross as we explore this season of
repentance
and reflection each Wednesday through April 4th ***

1 comment:

Stacey Olson said...

Great blog today. Thanks for sharing your insight. I am sure you'll achieve what you set out to accomplish!