17 February 2012

A-Z and Everything In-between

“I write these things to you who believe in the name of the
Son of God so that you may know that you have eternal life”
- 1 John 5:13

I love everything about words. Who could have imagined that 26 individual alphabet letters would give us the opportunity to construct such a variety of unusual, fantastic, quirky, awe-inspiring and powerful words?

Could it have been the same Creator that used the power of His Word to create everything in the universe?

I’m sure no one else could have designed such a plan. After all, God’s Word is just as applicable and powerful today – more than 2,000 years later.

You know what, my friends? We have all been given the amazing gift of language. With words we can communicate, encourage, and pray for each other. We can introduce ourselves and meet people we don’t already know. Words are incredibly versatile.

Recently I read an interesting article on “How to Cultivate a Love of Words.” The writer offered many suggestions on how we can increase our “world of words” ...

1. When speaking or writing, try to find replacements for basic words that may be overused. Increasing our vocabulary and replacing everyday words with more meaningful ones, can have an important effect on our message.
2. Let your words paint a picture. Close your eyes and think of the words in your head. Now what words can you use to describe the picture you see?
3. There are many ways to improve our word “knowledge.” The internet offers an assortment of valuable tools such as dictionaries, thesaurus’ and word lists.
4. Have fun with WORDS. Every “word lover” knows that crossword or word search puzzles, and games such as Scrabble or Boggle combine entertainment with an opportunity to learn.
5. Let words inspire your environment. Wooden signs, refrigerator magnets, and chalkboards are just a few unique ways to decorate your home with words.

 
My love of words spills over to my enjoyment of books. When I read I can be inspired, learn something new, or be whisked away on an amazing journey. I guess that’s why I also love to put my words on paper. Over the last 15 years writing has become a spiritual discipline that I have been able to incorporate into my walk with Christ. I enjoy writing everything from children’s stories based on scripture, to blogging my journey to seek God’s peace. So I wasn’t surprised that recently poetry has become an outlet for relaxation and creative expression in my writing. I have had fun playing around with HAIKKU (a few of which I have shared on my blog) and have added others to my personal journals. 
My heart is on fire
I hear His voice calling me -
Write of peace and hope

(Haikku by Donna Weaver)

Did you know that the Bible is filled with poetry? The book of Psalms contains 150 songs and prayers, each having a poetic character. We can find such beautiful words of praise and thanksgiving when reading through the Psalms.


New Testament references show that early Christians used the Psalms in worship, and if you listen to Contemporary Christian music you know that is still true today. You may recognize inspiration from the Psalms in songs such as the ones listed below by Third Day:

 ‘King Of Glory’  (Psalm 24:7-10)
‘My Hope Is In You’  (Psalm 25:1-5)
‘Your Love Oh Lord’  (Psalm 36:5-6)

Recently I came across the short poem below which was written by Emily Dickinson. As a Christian I know that my eternal future is not determined by my good deeds. With that being said, this poem captures my heart because it reflects my purpose in life – serving others and making a difference in the world I live in.
If I can stop one heart from breaking,
I shall not live in vain;
If I can ease one life the aching,
Or cool one pain,
Or help one fainting robin
Unto his nest again,
I shall not live in vain.

In just a few lines Dickinson’s words become an inspiration. Life is so much more than thinking of oneself. It is possible for each of us to leave a trace, a mark of our existence by serving others - and in the process we might just make a new friend, inspire someone, or change a small piece of the world . 

It’s Friday, Let’s Sparkle ... Action Required ... We never know the role that words will play in our lives - an educational essay, a creative poem, a famous screenplay, the next great novel or a simple blog post.

Ever since I started this blog, I’ve tried to think of ways to encourage my readers to “sparkle” (the outward shine of God’s love within us). Last week we talked about the meaning of words, and the ways that we can express our love to God and others. Today I am suggesting that we have some fun, try something different. Let’s use our words to encourage and inspire each other ... write a short poem or a Haikku, or share your favorite scripture verse or quote.  Post your “words” in the comment section below or over on my Facebook page.

Today let’s give God the glory and “sparkle” using the gift of language.

Have a blessed weekend – talk to you again Monday,
God’s Peace, Donna Weaver

No comments: