08 September 2011

Ancient Chinese Secret?


“I do not want the peace which passeth understanding,
I want the understanding which bringeth peace.” – Helen Keller

I love Chinese food, so once a week I treat myself and drive through the local Panda Express for take-out.  I arrive home, put my jammies on, and enjoy my sweet-fire chicken... yum yum! A few days ago that is exactly what I did. After I had finished eating, I was working on my computer, and remembered that the fun part of the meal was still in the bottom of my bag. I dug it out and with anticipation I broke open my fortune cookie.

Can you believe it... there are approximately 3 billion fortune cookies made each year, and I got one without a fortune inside.

The humor of it got the best of me... I laughed until my eyes were so filled with “happy” tears that I could hardly focus on the computer screen any longer. As I looked at the broken cookie, I thought to myself, “Now what do you suppose this means.” Sometimes the tiny piece of paper will set me to dreaming of when I might “become rich and famous.” Other times, I ponder the thought about how I am going to “meet this special someone” that a piece of paper has said would be coming in to my life. Then there are the times when I feel challenged to work a little harder, to push myself more, because words randomly placed in a cookie told me that “success is in my future.”

AM I CRAZY????

God tells me that I am beautifully and wonderfully made (Psalm 139). He declares that “He knows the plans he has for me” (Jeremiah 29:11) – and I know that His plans are always better than I could ever imagine. I’ve also been promised that if I listen to instruction and trust in the Lord, I will prosper and be filled with joy (Proverbs 16:20). So, why am I putting so much importance in the words found in a “cookie?”

Matthew 6:30 says, “And if God cares so wonderfully for wildflowers that are here today and thrown into the fire tomorrow, he will certainly care for you. Why do you have so little faith?”

WHY SO LITTLE FAITH ? ? ?

Maybe it was all part of God’s plan that I should get an “empty” fortune cookie! What do you think? After all, it gave me laughter (joy) and something to ponder (be still, and focus on the Lord). Yep, He is definitely in control!

Hope your day is filled with laughter and God’s abundant blessings!
Peace and Love, Donna Weaver

“This is the day the Lord has made.
We will rejoice and be glad in it.” – Psalm 118:2


1 comment:

Kathi said...

Donna (Sis2),

This blog just made me laugh out loud...it was so hilarious and so true. I love Panda Express also and I just can't wait to open my "fortune" cookie in anticipation to daydream, as well.

I loved how you put the "empty" fortune cookie into perfect perspective by knowing that it's just harmless entertainment and that God is completely in control of our lives.

Thanks for the "enlightening entertainment"...loved it!

Lv, Hugs & Blessings,
Little Sis